Saturday, January 24, 2009

A reason to live

I looked on her as a child on a device
Unsure of what to expect
For it hadn't been long since i had been bereft
Of a treasure i had long kept

Exactly a month and a day before
My life had been otrn apart
For the winds of time and distance
Had managed to wreck my craft

Pleaded had(been) I and begged also
And asked also to think a while
For we had spent so much love together
And my heart was almost dry

No love to give, too hurt to take
I never expected this joy
Of finding someone of being fulfilled
In such short a span

Yet when i looked on her, yet when she smiled on me
I could do naught but wonder
And gaze at the beauty, and gape at the serenity
Of this angel on Earth

And moved was i to the scenes of joy
That i had long imagined to live
The cascading waterfall. the flowing meadows
The beautiful sunset on a faraway beach

Her hair moved me to the softness of silk
Which flows like the cloth of the Gods themselves
Smooth to touch and sweet to look
As i could do nothing but gape

Her eyes were like emeralds on an intricate cast
With depths deeper than the trenches of the Pacific
And feelings they held and emotions they kept
Of beauty and of wonder and of star gazing

Her face an ornament of rare antique beauty
Innocent and beautiful and cute and sweet
Like Cleo and Joan and Mary and Liz
All immersed in one

And a scent so sweet lasso it threw
Enamoured me and I had no clue
Of what to say of what to do
And i just kept on gaping

And Keats i remembered,Wordsworth came to my mind
And all the romantic laureates who had ever lived
But none could have had the pleasure i wothstood
Of seeing beauty so complete

A thing of beauty which surpasse all else
A solitary lass who void a voice sang
The song of a twinkling and bubbling brook
As it washed the gloom of life

And just as she came she was gone
And her purpose had me deceived
Why did she come, why did i see
If she was to leave

And then i understood the greatness of God
The protector and preserver who all sees
He had made her, he had sent her
So that i could believe

Oh reader of distant thoughts
This what he wanted to say
Be not depressed, immersed in gloom
For love is here to say

No longer was i a parched traveller
No longer troubled by lovely hurts
For he had shown that nspite of all
I could feel love still

It had been a good time,we spent together
And lived our life in love
And though it had ended it had when it did
Given me a reason to love

And now he had sent me an angel in disguise
Who moved my hurt and inflicted a hurt too deep
The pain was a sign of that beautiful truth
That i had a reason to love still

I ne'er saw her since
Ne'er again did she come and fill my life with bliss
But that one gaze, that one smile
gave me the reason to live.

Somehow i always end up titling(Is that a word???) my poem with its last line. I guess its because i always leave the crux till the end... Thats the case with me in life too. Somehow i always say the most important thing at the end... Like a mysterious surprise...
Anyways... won't say much about this poem(Its too close to my heart!). But yes, there was someone who moved me to write this one. In fact the same who is probably most concerned with this poem... (Although the immediate sight was of someone else whoom i will not name for my personal and professional security in IIT. But probably those who have taken up EEL 203 will no of whom I speak!!!)And for the first time in a long time i was at a loss of words. Somehow it wasn't possible to express that beauty in words...Kisi zubaan mein woh lavz hi nahin jinmein tumhe bata sakoon ki kya ho tum.... :)

P.S. By the way keeping to my tradition this one too was conceived in a class. Electromechanics this time. :)




2 comments:

Unknown said...

impressive work....u've written very good.....(specially the last line)

AVP said...

thanx. I guess that's one of the most integral lines of the poem. And one i framed the whole poem about! Keep reading! :)